Friday, April 8, 2011

Code ACC

The last time I got an ACC code on my Comcast DVR was on the old box. I called the phone number that it gives on the screen when this happens and the person on the other end had no idea what I was talking about, despite the fact that I was following the on screen instructions.

This time it got stuck, acted wonky, then just froze all together with the "Unable to Process Request" message. Seems familiar enough.

(a quick aside, in the five years I used a TiVo box I only had to call customer support a handful of times. I think five total. My calls to Comcast about their piece of junk DVR? I can't even count them any more.)

So the phone call. At no point is there an option for Code ACC. If you go into tech support for cable it gives you a number of options, none of which have anything at all to do with Code ACC.
The only way I got though to a person was to hit 00000000000000000000000000000000. More or less. Then I got put in a wait line for customer service.

The nice guy (I should note that I have never had a customer service person, in all of my phone calls, that was not a nice person. It's not their fault that Comcast rents out pieces of junk as equipment) who answered the phone asked me a couple of self evident questions. "So the screen is blank?" Well, no, it has a note saying that there is a Code ACC and to call you at this number, which I did. "And what does it say?" Facepalm.

So through a series of him trying to do stuff he got the screen of the show it had frozen on to come back up, behind the message saying to call him, and... that's it.

He asked if I had tried unplugging it. Well, no. I was following the instructions on the screen which said to call him. If it had said "unplug the box" I would have likely tried that.

In the end he determined that the box was dead and that a customer service agent would have to come out to the house. If they charge me for this I will pitch the greatest of fits. If I have to spend another hour navigating through their asinine menus to set up all of my season passes, I will also need a stiff drink.

Please, Comcast, why don't you waste some more of my time. Please.

We will see what the service call tomorrow brings. There go my plans for the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment